The Visa Experience

Should have, would have, could have: the past that could not go back to

Hypothetically speaking and deep language arises to shallow, as I state that this blog post should have been posted last 31 August 2012, but since my (un)consistent self of free time did not allow me to think of posting one blog post, here it is:

I had to wake up around 5:30 on a Friday morning because of one thing: it's my Visa Interview day! My schedule was at 9:00AM, so my Dad and I decided to leave the house at 7. Just about the half of the expressway, we were already stuck in parking lot traffic. My Dad was so stressed and kept telling me that we should have had left a little more early. When the stress happened, my already nervous self, became more stressed and nervous as ever. My Dad decided to switch paths and had gone through Pasay instead of passing through Manila, which is a genius idea (I must say). We reached the Embassy around 8:30AM, just in time to breathe before the schedule.

I know that electronic devices aren't exactly allowed inside the Embassy, but since my Mom told me there's a counter for that, I wasn't really afraid of bringing my phone. But to my surprise, there weren't official counters there. No wonder there were ates following me before I entered the Embassy, that kept on telling me that phones are not allowed inside. Since I had no choice but to trust the ates who kept following me; it's either I trust an actual person, or I trust a tree. She gave me a card with her picture and number in return.

Germaine, my friend who arrived almost as the same time as me, and I went inside just in time, but our numbers were already batched far away from the other few. Mine was 2450, while Germaine has 2451. The first counter we approached was the counter, who accommodates certain visas with special forms (and needs, perhaps), because we were applying for an exchange visitor (J1). So for the next counter, we had to wait for our numbers to be called... standing and staring and waiting. Mind you, American Embassy's number system won't keep you put in one place, because they call random numbers (proof: Germaine was called prior to me). As my number was called, I proceeded to the finger mark counters. The man behind mine was an obvious American, and I don't know why I am even nervous, that I can't actually answer well because 1. I'm still starting to get used to their voices coming out of these tiny speakers and 2. he's a native American and 3. the interview's just steps away from the process. 

After all those, we were advised to sit on the other side (where immigrants and seafarers were sitted), since non-immigrants chairs were full. Since we don't have any electronic gadgets and we don't even own a watch, we were waiting for unknown time to happen. All we know is that we're hungry and we're bored. Almost seems like an hour or two of waiting... after batches has been called, we were finally called to wait for our numbers to flash on screen. As usual, Germaine was called first (how random this system is), and she proceeded to counter 5... after about 1 minute, my number came next, and I proceeded to counter 7. 

"This is it!" I told myself, it's either I make it or break it. 

I gave my documents to the male Consul prepared myself for whatever he would be questioning- praying to the Gods to help me from stumbling with my own thoughts.

"Good Afternoon!", I said.
"Good Morning!", the Consul said. Seriously, what time is it?

Consul checks my papers.
"So what's your purpose of visit?", the Consul asked.
"Uhm. I'm going to be an exchange visitor because I'll be interning there." I said. LOL what am I saying
"So where will you be interning?"
"In Hyatt Regency Jacksonville." Why am I just giving him short answers!?
"Do you have any place to stay?"
"Uhh. Yeah, my host company somewhat provided us with our apartment. We'll be arranging such if ever I'll get a visa." Not really my concrete answer but somewhat, that.
"Will you get payed? How much?"
"Yeah. It's $_*sensor*_ per hour." I don't want you counting the math, okay?

He then pointed to the brochure about the rights and other information about working & students. 
He asked, "Have you read this?". I nod. 
"You should read this thoroughly so that you'll know your rights and duties." In that moment, I think I'm in the midst of realizing that I already have been accepted. 
"Congratualations! Your visa has been approved. Kindly wait for us to mail you back your passport. It takes about a week or so." 
I can't believe what I just heard, so I just blurted out with (I think) my big eyes. "Thank you. Thank you!"

The moment that was done, I swiftly glanced to my friend's counter to share with her my good news. Gladly, we were both accepted! I honestly think we were the only people who went giddy after the interview. I mean all people after their interview seemed to be in a composed state, while we were like a bunch of young adults who can't hide our smiles and happiness. We wanted to shout and rejoice.

After, we retrieved our phones from ate and paid her... 200. It's too much... I know. But at least we got accepted! 

All in all, my nervousness was a little bit overboard, to think that it only took me less than a minute to get a visa, and the other 3 hours waiting for the unknown result. We finished around 12, just so we figured. We just had to eat it all out after. 

My pre-interview preparations, you ask? Read your training plan and have Faith in God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look what Violin got me thinking.

what's in my bag... for real

Make-up Stash